By Sue Shekut, Owner, Working Well Massage, Licensed Massage Therapists, Certified Wellness Coach, ACSM Personal Trainer
So you are in a hurry and want to grab a quick bite. Whatâ€™s your best bet calorie for dollar? Menâ€™s Health magazine does such aÂ great job of explaining which fast food meal selections are better for you with their â€œEat This Not That â€œcolumn. They now made it into aÂ book.
A sample of the trade off between a few extra cents or bucks and the increase to your fat and calorie consumption from the Menâ€™s Health article, â€œ4 Must-Know Restaurant Secretâ€™s,â€ By David Zinczenko, with Matt Goulding -Â here.
Hereâ€™s exactly how expensive it really is whenever you go for the â€œbargainâ€:
- 7-Eleven: Gulp to Double Gulp Coca-Cola Classic: 37 cents extra buys 450 more calories.
- Cinnabon: Minibon to Classic Cinnabon: 48 more cents buys 370 more calories.
- Movie theater: Small to medium unbuttered popcorn: 71 additional cents buys you 500 more calories.
- Convenience store: Regular to â€œThe Big Oneâ€ Snickers: 33 more cents packs on 230 more calories.
- McDonaldâ€™s: Quarter Pounder with Cheese to Medium Quarter Pounder with Cheese Extra Value Meal: An additional $1.41 gets you 660 more calories.
- Subway: 6-inch to 12-inch Tuna Sub: $1.53 more buys 420 more calories.
- Wendyâ€™s: Classic Double with Cheese to Classic Double with Cheese Old Fashioned Combo Meal: $1.57 extra buys you 600 more calories.
- Baskin Robbins: Chocolate Chip Ice Cream, Kidsâ€™ Scoop, to Double Scoop: For another $1.62, youâ€™ve added 390 calories.
Want the Eat This, Not That info but donâ€™t want to carry around a book. Menâ€™s Health has a solution for you: the new Eat This, Not That iphone app. Check it out here.